Join SiX for Our 2018 #FightingForFamilies Week of Action: Feb. 5-9, 2018
Between February 5 and 9, 2018, the State Innovation Exchange (SiX) is proud to host our 2nd annual #FightingForFamilies Week of Action. We host this special week each year to shine a light on policy solutions progressive legislators are advancing at the state level to build an economy that works for all of us, not just the wealthy few, where our families and communities can thrive.
This year’s #FightingForFamilies Week of Action will arrive as President Trump is embarking on his second year in office. In 2017, Trump and conservatives embraced an erosion of decency and democratic norms, launched an aggressive effort to strip health care from millions of Americans, and showered the wealthy and big corporations with tax cuts that will line the pockets of the wealthiest 1% on the backs of working families.
In 2017, voters made their voices heard in local and special elections across the country. The largest protests in modern history and huge growth in grassroots activism showed that the American people want real solutions.
In 2018, progressive state legislators and advocates across the country will build on that momentum. During the #FightingForFamilies Week of Action, we will highlight how legislator’s efforts are impacting working families, and will be organizing grassroots activities to engage thousands of constituents.
So what does it mean, exactly, to be #FightingForFamilies?
- #FightingForFamilies means fighting to create good jobs that can support a family and ensure working families have the education and skills they need for the jobs of the future.
- It means fighting to boost family paychecks by supporting policies that raise the incomes of working Americans, and ensure women earn equal pay for equal work.
- It also means fighting to level the playing field by supporting businesses that respect working people— including fighting against wage theft and protecting the freedom of Americans’ to join together in union and negotiate for a fair return on their work.
- In 2018, progressives are also fighting for quality, affordable health care for all American families, because families should be able to care for their health needs without fear of financial ruin, losing their paycheck, or losing their job.
The 2018 #FightingForFamilies Week of Action will also coincide with the 25th anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) on Monday, February 5, 2018. FMLA ensures that millions of Americans can access up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to care for a newborn baby, to deal with personal illness, or to help a sick family member. Since then, dozens of states have expanded on the FMLA to offer more comprehensive paid leave policies, and SiX is proud to support legislators who are committed to expanding strong, meaningful paid leave policies at the state level in 2018.
To see how you can get involved, email email@example.com, sign up for email updates from SiX, and stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks right here on the SiX blog. You can also follow SiX on Facebook and Twitter.
We hope you’ll join us!
– The State Innovation Exchange Team