The bad news: Across the country, there’s been a rise in hateful legislation that attacks the basic dignity and humanity of transgender youth.
The good news: These bills have already been stopped in states including South Dakota and Florida, and there are resources to help in every state!
The bottom line? Transgender young people know who they are and all of the data shows that when they are affirmed in their gender they have comparable outcomes to their peers. By contrast, when denied treatment and affirmation, transgender people experience high rates of suicidality and negative health outcomes. These bills are based on false and/or deliberately misleading notions of health care for transgender youth and on fear of trans inclusion in public life.
Please reach out if you would like support defeating these bills in your state.
Anti Trans Bill in the States: A Conversation
Jessie Ulibarri, SiX Co-Executive Director teamed up with Chase Strangio from the ACLU, Katrina Karkazis from Yale University and Florida State Rep. Carlos Smith for a conversation about these bills. Watch or listen below.
Inspiration from South Dakota and Florida
Check out this video of FL Rep. Carlos Guillermo Smith taking down the false claim that care for transgender youth is experimental or unproven:
As with any issue, stories are the most powerful messengers. If you have five minutes, check out this story from 17-year-old Quinncy Parke, one of the many heroes who helped stop South Dakota’s #HB1057, which sought to ban transition-related care like puberty blockers and hormone replacement therapy for trans minors.
- Anti-Transgender Bills Fact Sheet (ACLU)
- LGBT rights bill tracker (ACLU)
- Anti-trans bill tracker (Equality Federation)
- International Olympic Committee Trans Policy
- NCAA Statement on Inclusion of Trans Athletes
- U Sport Canada Policy (USport is the collegiate level sports governing body in Canada)
- Women’s Sports Foundation Inclusion Statement for Trans and Intersex Athletes (WSF was founded by Billie Jean King and is the major advocate for women in sport in the US)
- Athlete Ally’s FAQ on Trans Inclusion In Sports
- The Truth About Trans Athletes (Men’s Health)
- Andraya Yearwood Knows She Has the Right to Compete (Bleacher Report)
- CT High School Track Athletes Respond to Discrimination Complaint (Boston.Com)
- Stop Talking about Testosterone, There’s No Such Thing as ‘True Sex’ (The Guardian)
- Don’t Believe Everything You Read About Trans Women in Sports (Penguin Random House)
- Trans Athletes Welcomed on Teams Despite Hostile State Bills (NewNowNext)